Wednesday, December 29, 2010

One week

Today marks the 1st week anniversary of my temporary departure from China.  Eager to taste more of the "adventurer's life", I've started reading Tales of a Female Nomad by Rita Gelman, as recommended to me by Mat's fiancee (Nora Davis).  Rita describes the beginning of many travels after a proposed "break" in her 23-year marriage as something that she had always been longing to do.  Growing up getting lost on car rides and then, many years later, living the bourgousie life in LA, Rita's catalysts for going off by herself to the unknown are very different than my own.  My disappearances to different countries are not disappearances, but instead are visits well-supported by friends and family.  Unlike Rita, I am not going against the flow of mixed family politics.  I'd like to think that I am digging my own riverbed that feeds into the family tree.
Wow. Even writing a paragraph is exhausting.
 Life back in the States is pretty routine.  I'm heading off to "Hello, Dolly" this afternoon to spend time with my parents, whil Mat is away in New York for Nora's sister's wedding.  I keep busy these days, between hanging out with childhood friends and cleaning up from Christams while also planning for New Year's at Aly's house.  Not much else to say, except that I am very grateful for everyone who has given warm welcomes back into America (even if they were dressed up with silly reindeer antlers) and those who sent very thoughtful and useful gifts to me for the holidays!



No comments:

Post a Comment